Saturday Seminar Sessions
ASH Victoria presents two brilliant Saturday Seminar Sessions on Hypnosis and EMDR with Mark Grant MA a clinical psychologist with 30 years’ experience in the treatment of stress, trauma and pain.
Date: Saturday 11th September 2021 (Part 1)
Time: 9.30am – 12.30pm
Venue: Online (Zoom)
Date: Saturday 18th September 2021 (Part 2)
Time: 9.30am – 12.30pm
Venue: Online (Zoom)
Registered health professionals, counsellors, social workers and speech pathologists who are not members of the Australian Society of Hypnosis Ltd are eligible to register for this PD opportunity.
Mark works from a ‘first principles’ approach meaning one that is based as much as possible on an informed understanding of how the human nervous system works, (Porges ‘deep physiology’) and how experiences such as pain are learned. Neuroplasticity tells us that pain can be unlearned, under the right conditions. The challenge is to know what those conditions are and how to create them for each individual. Mark’s approach is influenced by the work of Pierre Janet, Francine Shapiro, Milton Erickson and Michael White, his own research and experience, and an innate curiosity about and desire to help people. After many years working out of a large, multi-disciplinary Medical Centre, Mark now works in private practice in Melbourne, Australia. He is also an EMDR consultant and past chairman of the EMDR Association of Australia.
Hypnosis and EMDR
Over 100 years ago medically unexplained pain (or Hysteria) stimulated the development of modern psychology. Hypnosis was one of the earliest treatments for trauma and medically unexplained symptoms (MUS) and remains a mainstay intervention in the treatment of these conditions. In more recent times EMDR has emerged as an effective treatment for trauma and pain. Although seemingly quite different, both approaches involve similar phenomena including special learning states, age regression and progression, controlled use of dissociation, guided imagery and evocation of unconscious resources. In this workshop clinical psychologist Mark Grant will introduce you to EMDR and Hypnosis and how to integrate these two approaches into a ‘dynamic duo’ for treating trauma and medically unexplained pain.
- Brief introduction to EMDR
- EMDR vs Hypnosis; similarities and differences
- 3 hypnotic phenomena common to trauma and MUS
- Integrated case conceptualization and treatment planning
- When to use EMDR
- When to use Hypnosis
- How to combine Hypnosis and EMDR to maximize treatment outcomes
- Utilizing the ‘pre-talk’ to enhance Hypnosis and EMDR
- How to create resources with hypnosis and EMDR
- Some trances for managing trauma and on-going pain and distress
This material will be illustrated through case-histories, videos and demonstrations.
- Identify 3 hypnotic phenomena common to trauma and pain
- Learn 8 similarities and differences between Hypnosis and EMDR.
- Understand how Hypnosis and EMDR compliment each other.
- Learn when to use Hypnosis vs when to use EMDR in treatment
- Learn 3 uses of trance in management of on-going pain
- Learn how to develop an integrated strategic long-term treatment plan
- Mark’s research (6 papers) regarding EMDR in the treatment of chronic pain has been published in various peer-reviewed journals including the Journal of Clinical and Consulting Psychology.
He is the author of ‘Change Your Brain Change Your Pain’ (self-help book) and ‘Pain Control with EMDR’ (treatment manual).
- He is also the creator of the ‘Healing traumatic stress suite of apps’ (www.traumaapps.com).
- His Anxiety Release app resulted in the first published account of an app helping to alleviate the somatic component of chronic pain.
- He has been active for many years in professional development including numerous presentations regarding stress and pain at workshops and conferences in Australia and internationally.
- His ideas about pain have been cited in the New York Times.
Send an expression of interest by email to Dr Di McGreal or text to 0433 381 531
ASH Members $100
Non Members $150
ASH Students $50
Following your enquiry you will be sent payment details.
- Cancellation. Having paid, your cancellation must be made before COB 9th September 2021 DIRECTLY to Jan Schleiger ASH VIC Treasurer BY EMAIL. You would then be entitled to a refund minus a $20.00 administration fee. (There will be no refund if you participated for Part 1 but cannot attend Part 2.)
- Paid registrations cannot be transferred to another person.
- Registration is for both Parts and you cannot register for just Part 1 or Part 2.